January 21, 2005

Calm Before the Storm

I'm in Pittsburgh for the weekend. I had Thursday off for the inauguration, and J. and I decided it would be a good weekend to take Puff and go see my parents, so I'm taking Friday off too. It is supposed to snow this weekend, however, so our trip back to VA might be treacherous. You'd never know that right now, though, as there's hardly a cloud in the sky. Don't let the sun fool you, it's still very cold.

I did 10 miles this morning. Weather.com said it was 9 degrees. It wasn't bad once my hands warmed up. I wore two pairs of gloves, but it still took two or three miles for my hands to get warm. I ran up to the trail, ran four miles there, and then did my six-mile loop. The six-mile loop goes right by the trail, so it's very easy to add mileage.

Running on snow seems to be harder than I remember. The trail was snow-covered, and the spots where it was packed down weren't bad, but it's difficult to get traction where the snow is still fresh. I was pleasantly surprised when I checked my watch after I finished to see that the snow didn't slow me down as much as I thought it might.

No comments: