February 07, 2005

Not a Bad Race

This past Sunday I ran the Country Road Run 5 mile race. I wish I could have finished a little higher than I did (14th), but at least my place was due to others running faster, not me running slower.

I went out a little faster than my last race and ran the first mile in 5:56. I was surprised to see so many people ahead of me and thought I had run slower. The second mile featured the biggest hill on the course and I hit the two-mile mark in 12:27. I reached the turn around at 15:43 and began to head back toward the finish. I passed three miles in 18:44 and can't remember my 4-mile split. During my last mile I was furiously trying to stay ahead of the people I could hear behind me. I turned on to the finish straightaway and managed to pass two people in the last 50 meters or so to finish in 30:44.

Overall I'm pleased with my performance. It feels good to have run a fairly large negative split. I haven't done any speedwork yet other than this race but did manage a decent pace.

No comments: