July 05, 2005

Taking A Break

Over the past couple weeks, I've felt as if I needed a break from running. I don't need a complete break, just a period of reduced mileage and extra rest. I don't think it's really come across in my posts, but lately I've been running more out of a sense of obligation than anything else. It's not only that, though. I also feel like I've reached a plateau. I know in order to get off the plateau, to get to the level I want, I'm going to have to run more. I don't think I can do it feeling the way I do now. I'm hoping this break will re-energize me and I'll be able to do more when I start marathon training in the fall. The half-marathon at the end of this month seemed like a good idea, but now I've decided to skip it. My plan is to run about three to five miles a day, take a day off if I feel like it, and possibly run a little more on the weekends if I feel like it. We'll see how I feel after a couple weeks, and I'll evaluate my marathon plans.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Brian,

This sounds like a great idea. I was feeling really burnt out in April and May, so I just ran what I felt like running for a while, and didn't feel particularly obligated to do anything at all. It worked, because now I'm feeling really enthusiastic again, and my runs feel so much better. Sometimes you just need a break, and it's great that you can recognize that. Take care!

Unknown said...

Thanks Alison. That's what I'm hoping, that in a few weeks I'll feel revitalized.