February 18, 2007

Getting out of the Slump

I've been in a slump the past two weeks with my running. I've been sleeping in, and the snow and ice we got this week didn't help. For whatever reason, I feel like I'm coming out of it, and I made it out both Saturday and Sunday.

Saturday I ran eight miles through the neighborhoods. They don't do a very good job plowing the roads around here let alone shoveling the sidewalks, so I need to stay off the main roads as much as possible. Sunday I planned on twelve or thirteen miles, but called it quits after seven. I was more tired than I expected, and my legs especially my left calf, were pretty tight. I stretched out well and hopefully will feel better tomorrow.

1 comment:

Michael said...

I came across your site and it reminded me of a link my running coach sent me today, here is part of the article, it has to do with goal setting (sorry about the length):

Goal setting is one of the most commonly used terms in high performance sport. It is easy to do well, but unfortunately it is also very easy to do poorly. Types of Goals and the Goal Setting Process are discussed below to bring you some clarity and make Goal Setting effective for you.

Types of Goals: Outcome Goals, Performance Goals, and Process Goals. Of note, your level of control goes from low to high as you move from Outcome to Performance to Process Goals.

• Outcome Goals are those which focus on the end-result of a competition that depends on how well you perform against / compared to an opponent(s). Control Level = LOW, since the actions and behaviours of your competitors can significantly impact whether or not you achieve your goal.

• Performance Goals are those which focus on achieving a certain standard of performance or an objective measure that is comparable to your own previous results. Control Level = MEDIUM to HIGH, since these are determined primarily by your actions and behaviours, although some external factors may impact you (e.g., environmental conditions, race strategies of others, equipment issues).

• Process Goals are those which focus primarily on the ‘quality’ of a skill, technique, strategy, behaviour, etc. These goals are the fundamental building blocks to achieving both performance and outcome goals. For example, to improve your personal best or win, you may need to improve your stride / stroke length, increase communication with a team-mate, become more ‘fluid’ in your execution of a skill, etc. Control Level = HIGH, since these are generally things you can work on and develop independent of your competition and in a variety of environmental conditions.