August 16, 2007

Marathon Pace Workout and Alan Webb

Typically I run a workout on Tuesday, but since I didn't feel well Monday night I pushed it back to Wednesday this week. I just wanted to warm up, run about five miles around marathon pace, and cool down. I decided to run the five miles on the track. When I got to the track, there were two people walking. I wasn't feeling too great, but I figured I give the workout a try and see what happened. What happened was that I didn't even get down to marathon pace. I did run a little faster than normal, but I didn't get to the pace I wanted. In an effort to go a little faster and make the workout more interesting, for the last four laps I surged and picked up the pace for the first 200 meters. It did help, as the last mile was the fastest.

I don't want to make too big a deal about this, but if you're walking around the track and someone else is running, wouldn't you think it makes sense to move from the inside lane? Especially if that person who's running keeps going and goes around you multiple times?

This morning I ran an easy five miles. As usual on Wednesdays I went to bed late, so I slept in a little and ran less. Tonight I have the chance to meet Alan Webb. He's from Northern Virginia and still lives and trains around here, and one of the local running stores is having a meet-and-greet/world-champs-send-off-party for him. It should be fun.

No comments: