June 15, 2006

Excuse Me

I got kicked off the high school track this morning. Well, not really kicked off, but asked to leave. I didn't think there was a problem and didn't really want to leave, but did any as to avoid any complications that would lead to me never being able to run on the track again.

The plan for this morning was 3.5 miles to warm up, 3-4 miles at more or less marathon pace (6:45-7:00) and then cool down. When I got to the high school, I passed a security guard in his car and then went down the hill to the track. I just knew he saw me, so I wasn't surprised when he got out of his car and asked me why I was running on the track. So I know exactly how far I've run, I said. The field is set up for graduation, he said, so you shouldn't be down there. OK, I understand, I told him as I ran up the hill off the track. Have a good day, he said as I ran by.

I ran over to the middle school track to do the workout. I really had wanted to run at the high school, which has real track, as opposed to the middle school's asphalt track. I ran 5000 meters in 20:57, with splits of 6:56 at 1600 meters and 13:42 at 3200 meters. I'm happy with the time overall, as the average pace works out to 6:45, but I would have liked to run more even splits. After the cool down I had 10 miles for the day.

No comments: