June 29, 2006

Starting Over

Last night I ran three miles, and then this morning I ran four miles. For about the last month, my training has been very poor. I've been tired, and taken quite a few days off. Last week, which I spent in Houston, visiting some of my wife's family, was particularly bad. Despite the fact that I got in a 10 mile run the first full day I was there, every time I ran it was a struggle to keep going.

J and I discussed the problem and decided that a little break, followed by a week or two of easy running would likely help. That idea was confirmed when I read a few pages in Run Strong about overreaching. Basically overreaching is a precursor to overtraining. It's trying to do too much, but not to the point of needing an extended break. I'm pretty sure that's what happened to me. The running itself was not necessarily too much, but when combined with work, family, lack of sleep, etc. it was too much. I took the last few days in Texas off as well as my first day back at home, and had a good run last night. I only ran three miles, but when I stopped I felt like I could have kept going for a few more miles.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Better to figure it out at the "overreaching" phase than the next phase. You'll get back, it's happened to all of us. Hmmm, it might even be happening to me.