November 07, 2006

Not so Fast

I didn't end up meeting any new training partners Sunday morning. His wife called Saturday night to let us know they wouldn't be able to make it. The kids and I still went to Burke and ran one loop around the lake for five miles, and then they got to play on the playground.

Monday morning I ran an easy five miles, and this morning I ran a brief marathon pace workout. Or at least I tried. The plan was to run two miles at about 6:50/mile. I ran over to the track to run the workout there so I had an accurate distance. I ended up about 15 seconds per mile slower than marathon pace. If anything I was trying a little too hard to stay relaxed and that kept me off pace. I know I can't expect miracles on Saturday, hopefully being awake for a few hours before the race starts and being a little more warmed up will help.

2 comments:

Mike said...

Not pushing the kids for a few days prior should help too. There's only one day where how marathon pace feels really matters. Rest well and make the most of it. I'm pulling for you.

I have to note that the last few race reports I've read with good endings tend to start with the runners easing into marathon pace over the first few miles. Maybe a few at 7 even will make it a little easier down the road.

Best of luck to you.

Unknown said...

Thanks Mike. After the run I did think that it could be better to start off slow and have something left at the end.