September 01, 2004

Fans

I now know what it must feel like to run in one of the Golden League meets. Well, not exactly, but there were some people in the stands for my workout yesterday.

I ran 8x400 with 30 seconds rest at the high school track yesterday. As I arrived, the football team was leaving the field, so I thought Good, I got here just at the right time. I started my workout, and people began to walk down into the stadium and sit in the bleachers. More and more people continued to arrive as I ran each interval. The band was practicing on a field adjacent to the track, and were apparently going to perform for the "fans" in the bleachers, who I assume were their parents and siblings. I kept expecting to be told to leave, but no one ever even said anything to me. I had finished my workout and was just leaving the track as the band marched down to the field.

The workout went very well. I ran most of the 400s in 78 seconds, with two in 77 and one in 76 seconds. This workout gives me some confidence going into my race Saturday, where hopefully I'll break my PR, which I set at this race last year but have since broken.

I wonder what the people in the bleachers were thinking as they watched me run. I'm also shocked that no one even mentioned that I should leave, given some of the stories I've read about getting kicked off the local track.

No comments: