September 16, 2004

Half Marathon Report

The half-marathon did not quite go as planned, despite the fact that I ran a PR (of course I ran a PR, it was my first half-marathon). As is typical with my races, I went out too fast. I ran the first mile in 5:44, just about my 5k race pace. I slowed down for the next four miles or so and ran each of them at about 6:05 pace. That was still a bit fast, and I ended up running the last 8 miles or so of the race at more or less 6:45 pace. My watch did say I ran one mile in just over 7 minutes and the next mile in 5:51, but I think those mile markers were a bit off. I finished in 1:24:28, certainly a respectable time but not what I was hoping for.

I'm taking the next two weeks or so off, and then base building over the fall and winter. I hoping for a prolonged period of at least 80 miles a week, which should be a good start for the half-marathon and marathon I plan on next year.

No comments: