October 13, 2006

Close Encounters of the Dog Kind

Let me share what happened on my run this morning. I was about a mile and a half in, running on a sidewalk along a four lane road separated by a median strip. It's about five am and dark. Out of the corner of my eye, I see this dog sprinting across all four lanes toward me. I'm startled, and I ended up down in the grass next to the sidewalk. I didn't know this dog, but I had visions in my head of the dog in my neighborhood growing up that bit everyone. I calmed down and let the dog sniff me, and then got up slowly. The dog waited a few seconds before he decided he'd had enough of me, and then trotted back across the road the way he came. As he was trotting away, I started walking, and then when I thought he was far enough away I started running again.

Even disregarding the dog incident, today's run wasn't my best. I wanted to run 10 miles with a few pickups, but the stomach issues I had prevented me from feeling like running any faster paces. Yesterday's run was 10 miles as well, Wednesday was a day off, and Tuesday was 11 miles, picking up the pace for the last mile.

No comments: