October 05, 2006

Wednesday Workout

As has been the case the past few Wednesdays, this Wednesday I ran, or at least tried to run, another marathon pace workout. The workout was 12 miles with six at marathon pace. I actually got up to do this in the morning, instead of sleeping in and running at night. I didn't get much sleep, though, so I didn't have great expectations.

I ran out the parkway with my GU and water bottle, which I brought with me because I thought the extra energy might help. After about three miles, I took the GU and set the water bottle down and started the marathon pace segment. I was worried that this part would feel like it took forever, but I reached the turnaround before I knew it. Actually, I went a little past the turnaround, because the actual turnaround mark is hard to see in the dark. The mark that I did see is past where I intended to turn around. Coming back is more difficult than going out because there are more uphills, but I did run back in about the same time. I picked up the GU wrapper and water bottle, and cooled down three miles back to the house.

This workout did not really go as planned. I wasn't able to get down to marathon pace. I'm pleased that I ran the second half at the same pace as the first, but it just wasn't as fast as I had hoped. It's likely due to the 19 on Sunday, eight on Monday, and 11 on Tuesday, coupled with less than optimal sleep.

Finally, this isn't related to the workout but if you're interested: pictures of my ugly mug from the Parks half Marathon.

No comments: