October 22, 2005

Rain, Rain, Go Away

It's not raining as I type this, but it's been raining most of the time since Friday morning. It's not a heavy rain for the most part, just a steady, light rain or mist. Luckily, the rain stopped long enough for the 5k I ran this morning, though it did leave some puddles on the course. And before I write anything about the race, let me say that I am an idiot. The race started as I was making my way to the starting line. It was my fault; I didn't give myself enough time to put on my flats and singlet and get over to the start.

I started about 30 seconds behind the field. It was a small race and the start cleared quickly. I passed people during most of the race, but mainly in the first mile. That was a bit of a problem, since the race was run on a bike path that wasn't all that wide. Despite the weaving during the first mile, my splits were almost even. They were 6:14, 6:16, and 6:17, and then according to my watch 31 seconds for the last tenth, making my time 19:19. I'm OK with my performance. At this point, just getting back to consistent running as I get into the base phase of my marathon training, I can't complain. But that doesn't mean that I didn't want to do better.

Friday I did seven miles and some strides.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I once started a triathlon 2 minutes behind, that's no fun either. Hope the zantac helps, and it's nice he can eat before bed, that should help everyone sleep longer. Also, good job getting out the door on those tough days.