February 17, 2006

Advice

Does anyone have any good advice for avoiding digestive problems while running? The last two days I've had issues, and I don't know exactly why. I haven't made any changes to my diet, and haven't drastically increased my mileage. My one thought is that it has to do with not eating before I run. Tomorrow I'm going to eat a little before I run and see what happens.

Yesterday I did 10 miles. My legs were sore at the beginning but did loosen up as I ran. I made it about seven miles before I had to make a pit stop, and that didn't even end the distress. I even felt a little funny after I finished my run and had something to eat.

Today I ran eight miles. I didn't have to make any pit stops while I ran, but I would have if I had been running any further. My stomach was agitated again after I finished and ate. Maybe my body is so ravenous after running without eating beforehand that it's digesting my breakfast quickly and that's bothering me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Consistency is my only suggestion, and it doesn't sound like you're doing anything differently so it's kind of strange. I have some coffee and an english muffin w/pb&j every morning, and in my case the coffee gets me into the bathroom before I start running (hey, you asked!). If the coffee doesn't do it immediately, for some reason brushing my teeth afterwards seems to spur it on. I'm usually fine 'till the end of the run, but I've had some unfortunate pit-stops too. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Brian, the less you eat before you run, the better. If it is right away in the morning, just run, then eat. Unless you are hungary. IF need be, just eat a little something to get rid of the hunger. I always try not to eat much at all if anything before I run. Especially if I do a race. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I follow the same no eating thing. If I have time, sometimes I will drink a cup of coffee 90-60mins before I leave.

This gets the job done before I am out the door.

Anonymous said...

Brian:

I have pitstop problems regardless of what I eat, and have had them for the last 21 years, the entire time I've run (since the age of 11). I just know when I am going to have one and plan the bathroom stops accordingly. Frequent pit stops are not necessarily a sign of a serious problem. I'd say do not worry about it as long as it does not affect your running and as long as you can figure out how to avoid it during a race.

I would, however, recommend to stay away from coffee. Caffeine gives you a perception of energy rather than real energy and makes you run faster than you ought to. It also takes away from the quality of your sleep, and makes you agitated during the day when you ought to relax and recover from your training. It is probably destructive in other ways. Our bodies are naturally very smart, and it is a bad idea to mess with their adaptation mechanisms.