February 15, 2006

Where Did All the Snow Go?

It would be nice if I updated this blog on a regular basis, wouldn't it?

This last weekend we got about 8-10 inches of snow, and now, only four days later a lot of it has melted. This must be the mildest winter I've ever seen. The melting does make for easier running, though.

Saturday morning I got out early for 10 miles before any snow started falling. I don't know exactly the reason why, but I felt pretty tired and just wanted the run to be over with. The only saving grace was that I'm used to the loop I ran and I was done quickly enough.

I took Sunday off. I was wary of running in the snow while it was still dark, so I planned on running later in the day. After shoveling snow, playing with Puff, and working on my Valentine's Day project, I didn't run.

Monday I ran 7 miles. I came up with a new route that took me mainly through neighborhood streets since I wasn't sure how much of a shoulder I'd have on the main roads. The best part of the route was the solitude. It was nice to get time to myself without cars whizzing past me.

Tuesday I had on of my best runs in a while, despite B's best attempts at thwarting it. B wanted to party all night long and would not stay asleep for any extended period of time, until of course J wanted him to wake up. I ran almost the exact same loop as Monday, except for hitting the dead end because I forgot to turn and adding two miles on to give me nine miles for the day. I ran the nine miles in 1:12:XX, just a hair over eight minute pace. That in itself is nothing to be proud of, but it is about 30 seconds/mile faster than most of my runs have been lately. I also picked up the pace for the last two miles and ran those in 15:13.

This morning I ran my residential loop yet again, adding on a little distance to get me to eight miles. My legs are feeling sore, but I'm hoping it's just from coming back after a week off. I gave them a brief massage with the Stick this morning, and I'll repeat the process as well as stretch out a bit before I go to bed tonight. J and the kids are out of town tonight, so I'm getting to bed early in the hopes of catching up on my sleep.

Zeke wrote the other day about the "key" to running being "surrounding yourself with successful like-minded people." I have to second that notion. I'd love to have a group to run with who have the same aspirations as I do. However, what I lack physically I have technologically in the collection of blogs that I read.

No comments: