May 18, 2006

The Good, The Bad, and a Realization

I won my race yesterday. One of them anyway. Despite only signing up for the 2-mile, I also participated in the relay, where my team lost. We had the lead going into the last leg, but their anchor was much faster than ours. I lead the 2-mile from start to finish, fending off a challenge over the last laps. I'm not sure exactly how close second place was to me, but I heard people yelling for him to pass me. I unleashed my barbarian kick and held him off to finish first.

This morning I only managed two miles. I felt a little sick last night before I went to bed, but felt OK this morning when my alarm went off, so I went for my run. My stomach started to bother me, and while I didn't feel like I was immediately going to be sick I felt like if I kept running I'd get sick. I stopped at the two mile point of my run, which because I loop around is only about a half mile from my house, and I walked home.

I think I may be trying to run a little too much right now, and it's not leaving me feeling very good. I'm going to back off a little on the mileage, aiming for 60 instead of 70 mpw. I need to be training consitently, and I think backing off a bit will help me be more consistent and lessen the peaks and valleys I'm going through now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Did you run a good time for you? I'm glad you held on for the finish, that guy must have been close behind for people to be goading him on to pass. Rest up!

Anonymous said...

It's tough to win...always. Well done Brian. Why do they always root for the second place guy to pass when the first place guy puts his butt on the line and goes out hard?

Anonymous said...

Audrey-My time was OK--12:48 overall, mile 1 in 6:28 and mile 2 in 6:20, but I was hoping to be closer to 12 minutes flat. Maybe had I warmed up I would have run better, but all the people around made me feel self-conscious, like warming up would mean I'm taking this too seriously.

Thanks Mike. I don't know why they always root for the guy in second, I'm just glad he stayed there.