May 22, 2007

Back to It

I've finally found some consistency with my running. I'm working on getting the mileage back up and building a base before I get to the specific marathon training. At J's urging, I'm going to find a plan to follow, likely from Advanced Marathoning or a similar book. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know. I'm looking for something with mileage in the 70-80 range.

Thursday: 4 miles, last day I had to drive in early for lacrosse
Friday: 5 miles
Saturday: 7 miles
Sunday: 6 miles
Monday: 7 miles
Tuesday: 7 miles

2 comments:

Mike said...

While I'm a Lydiard kind of guy, I can't help but suggest the Pfitzinger "up to 70 MPW" plan. I think it has a nice balance of general miles, long runs and tempo sessions, as well as a few good MP runs and speed sessions. It's a little light on the periodization, but I think he makes up for it by balancing the recovery with the efforts well.

It's the only plan I ever did where I didn't miss a day of training for the 18 weeks, and it helped me drop about 9 minutes from my PR in '04.

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you are back! :) Just in time for the nice weather.

I used the Advanced Marathoning book plan to set my PR (at the time an 11 minute improvement on my previous marathon). I think it's a great plan and you'll have plenty of time to fit in an 18 week training cycle. Good luck! :)