December 14, 2004

Jingle Bell Jog

This past Sunday I ran the Jingle Bell Jog 8k, the last race of the year in my club's Championship Series. This is the first race I've run in a while that really felt like a race.

I ran just under the first three miles of the race with the chase pack. Right before the three-mile mark, we went up a hill, turned left, and then down a hill. I had tried to make a break a little earlier in the race, but wasn't successful. Going down the hill before the three-mile mark, I made my break. I opened up a gap and held it until the end. I even caught the guy who had been out of sight in front of me for some of the race about a quarter mile from the finish to finish fifth overall in 30:20.

My splits were 6:09, 6:03, 6:10, 5:58, 6:00. I started to tie up a little near the finish, but was still able to finish strong. I'm not sure exactly what to credit for my performance, but I ran 10 miles the day before and maybe that helped hold me back a bit at the beginning.

No comments: