March 14, 2005

Race Recap

Yesterday I ran my club's first XC race of the year, the Frozen Slopes 6k. Rolling does not adequately describe the hills in this race. The race starts by going up a small hill on to the only extended flat portion of the race. After maybe half to three-quarters of a mile, the course goes up and down until you get back to the flat portion and then go down the small hill to the finish. I ran 24:16 to finish in sixth place. Last year I ran over a minute faster but didn't place as high. In fact, if you compare the times between last year and this year, they seem a minute or so slower. I warmed up and cooled down for a half hour each to end up with 11 miles for the day.

Saturday I did my 10 mile loop. I've had success running that loop the day before my last two shorter races (not the 10 miler) and why mess with success? My calves were a bit sore, but I still had a good run, running just under 8 minute pace.

This morning I did 8 miles. I didn't sleep too well, but I guess since I got a pretty good night's sleep Saturday I didn't feel too bad this morning. I stretched out well after the race and my legs weren't too sore this morning. My calves were still tight, though. I gave them a brief massage with The Stick in the hopes that it would help.

1 comment:

Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

xcountry and trail races are my fav. The hills, the changing conditions make it interesting to say the least. :-)