May 22, 2004

Hot Hot Heat

Today I ran 10 miles. There's a bike path I run on fairly often that starts not too far from my house, and that's where I ran today. The one drawback of it is (at least when you're running from 11 am to a little after noon) the fact that there's no shade. We've basically bypassed spring this year in VA, and gone right into the middle of summer. The high temperature for today is 87, and the highs for the next two days are 90 and 92.

When companies claim that their apparel "wicks moisture away from the body," I often wonder just whose body they're talking about. I ran in my Coolmax Hanson's shirt today, (which if you're planning to purchase they run big) and it wasn't much drier if at all than a cotton t-shirt. And if I run without a shirt in the summer, my shorts are as wet as a bathing suit after you get out of the pool. It's not that I mind getting sweaty, I'm skeptical about people who tout running in clothes made from these synthetic materials as being so much better for you.

No comments: