July 20, 2004

Today's Workout

This morning I went to the track to run intervals. The workout was 4x1200 meters, with one lap recovery. Based on my tempo run last week, I was hoping to run the intervals in 4:45 apiece. It was cool and not too humid; overall, a nice morning for a workout. Plus, I actually got a decent amount of sleep last night.

I warmed up for half an hour and then began my workout. I ran the first 1200 in 4:38 and was pleasantly surprised. My effort felt approximately the same as my tempo run even though I was running a couple seconds per lap faster.

I ran the next two 1200s in 4:29 and 4:28 respectively. On the last one, I decided to run hard and aim for 4:20. To pleasantly surprise myself even more, I ran the last 1200 in 4:11. Going into this workout I was prepared for it to go badly, since I ran 16.5 miles Sunday and 10 yesterday, but what happened was exactly the opposite. I cooled down and finished the morning with 10 miles.

No comments: