April 04, 2005

Cherry Blossom Report

Yesterday I ran the Cherry Blossom 10 Mile race. I was hoping to break one hour. I had been checking the weather forecasts for a few days leading up to the race, and it did not look good. I woke up to find it very windy outside. The wind was blowing 25-35 mph, with higher gusts. The temperature was in the mid-40s, which would have been great if not for the wind.

The race didn't start out well. I lined up near the front of the 6-7 minutes/mile pace marker, but still spent most of the first mile weaving around slower runners. I picked it up the next mile and ran 6:02. However, my legs just felt pretty dead and I wasn't able to run any faster. My next five splits were 6:26, 6:11, 6:21, 6:22, and 6:31. I was running into some pretty stiff wind in these miles. Sometime in the seventh mile, my digestive system started to act up and I slowed down. I almost felt like dropping out, but I finished. My last three miles were 6:45, 7:25, and 7:14. I finished in 1:05:53, 7 seconds better than last year, when I also had digestive issues.

I was hoping for a much better performance. I ran a 1:02:00 ten-mile race on a much more difficult course in February. But one day does not make a career. I'll continue to train, and I'm sure I'll break an hour. I'll be back next year.

This morning I did an easy six miles. I'm a little sore, but in a different place after this race. In February, my calves were really sore. This time it's my left groin. I'll use The Stick tonight and hopefully that will loosen it up.

No comments: