April 29, 2005

Coaching

La Woof posed an interesting question on the letsrun.com message boards earlier this week: Do you think you could coach an Olympic champion? I'd have to answer no. While I feel I have a good grasp of training philosophy, I don't feel like I know enough of the specifics to coach an athlete at that level. Coaching is definitely something I'd like to do in the future, though most likely on a high school level. I think I'd really enjoy it, provided I don't have the drama that exists on the high school lacrosse team J assistant coaches.

My own training went pretty well this week. After my disappointing weekend and a conspicuous beginning to this week, I feel like I'm back on track (excuse the pun.) I didn't run Tuesday because Puff's antics kept me awake for part of the night. Wednesday I went to the track to run 4 x 1 mile, with one minute rest. The high school track was closed, so I ran at the middle school. Based on my tempo run, I was aiming for 6:30/mile. I was pleasantly surprised when I ran 6:13, 6:11, 6:16, and 6:07. It did make me wonder, first if the track was short, and second if the fact that the middle school track is asphalt rather than tartan does that make it faster. Until proven otherwise, though, I'm counting the times as legitimate. Yesterday and today were easy days, ten and nine miles respectively. I was tired and fairly sore today. Hopefully I'll be able to get some rest this weekend.

No comments: