April 19, 2005

Marathons

This past weekend/Monday was one of the biggest in marathoning, with London and then Boston taking place. Congratulations to Paula for winning London and Alan for coming in fourth at Boston. I'm planning on moving up to the marathon eventually, although it seems like my time frame keeps getting pushed back. I wanted to run Pittsburgh, but I don't see that marathon coming back any time soon. Plus, I have no idea how two kids are going to affect my training, and the marathon is not a race I just want to run to say I've run it; I want to train properly and finish well. Based on what's happened at Boston the past few years, it seems to be better to run a fall marathon. Richmond or Philadelphia would work well for me. Both are big but not huge, and neither is too far away. I'm just going to have to take stock of my life and see when the marathon fits.

My running over the past few days has been OK. I raced Saturday at the Difficult Run 8k XC race and came in fifth. Despite my place, the race didn't go well. I got to the race later than I would have liked and didn't warm up much. I didn't feel good until halfway throughout the second loop of the race. Sunday I did 13 miles, Monday 8, and then this morning 9.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there from a fellow runner who visited your site through Complete Running's list of 200+ running blogs.

I wanted to comment on your blog today, specifically, about Richmond. I ran Richmond in 1999 (as my first), 2000, 2001 (my PR race) and 2002. I have ran 8 total and would suggest that Richmond is a great first marathon. It's small ~3000, it has been well managed in the past and has very good crowd support.

I only have 1 child, but #2 is coming in June so I don't know how having 2 kids would affect your training but given the last sentence in your post, you'll be fine if you can keep that kind of runs in the mix.

It's also cheaper than other marathon if you register early.