December 17, 2005

Who Needs a Car?

Last night when I got home from work, both of my sisters-in-law were there. They're both at college; one is a freshman at Virginia Tech and the other a grad student at James Madison. Since they had been gone for a little while, they both wanted to play with the kids. I found out we were invited over to the in-laws for dinner. I wanted to run first, so everyone else left and I was going to come over after my run. Once I started running, I had an idea. Why not just run over? It's about seven miles, which is about what I wanted to run anyway, and it would save me some time and trouble. I didn't have any real trouble running over; just a few icy spots where I had to be careful and slow down. Everyone was surprised to see me when I got there.

This morning I took Puff with me in the stroller for my run. I planned on going eight miles or so, but I felt terrible, so I cut it to six. I think the past two nights caught up with me. Both nights I was up with the kids and didn't sleep as much or as soundly as I would have liked.

I ended up with 43 miles for the week on six days of running. It's a start. Monday I'm going to start running at night. I'll come home from work, help out with the kids, eat a snack, and then go out for my run when Puff goes to bed, about 8. I'm interested to see how it goes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job getting out with Puff, and I'm interested in hearing about running in the evening. I might explore a bit of that myself, especially since "The Daily Show" hasn't been that great lately. I once cycled to Thanksgiving Dinner (80 miles) while my wife drove. It is fun to surprise people by arriving on foot or bike when they don't expect it.

Anonymous said...

Good job getting out with Puff, and I'm interested in hearing about running in the evening. I might explore a bit of that myself, especially since "The Daily Show" hasn't been that great lately. I once cycled to Thanksgiving Dinner (80 miles) while my wife drove. It is fun to surprise people by arriving on foot or bike when they don't expect it.

Anonymous said...

Great stuff, Brian. I love the efficiency of knocking out a run in combination with going somewhere you need to be. Sounds like you're busy guy. 43 miles in 6 days with two kids, and a job I assume? Wow. Quite impressive.