December 02, 2005

You Suck

I'm not motivated the way some runners are. I don't need myself or anyone else to tell me that I can do it. I know I can do it; I want to do it well. I respond much better to negative stimuli, i.e I'm bad let me try to get better.

I bring this up because yesterday during my hellacious commute home I was listening to my iPod and Paul McMullen interview with Deena Kastor that I downloaded from trackandfieldradio.com came on. I actually skipped the interview with Deena to listen to some music instead, but it made me think of Paul's interview with Katie McGregor. She told him that when she was at Michigan she had a little sign above her bed that said You Suck. The sign would motivate her to work hard. It works for me too.

I didn't run yesterday but did 7 miles this morning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm the same way with the negative stimuli. Most folks find that it puts a damper on their training, but when I'm really down on myself and angry is when I do my best running. A little "You Suck" sign is brilliant. Definitely would get me pumped up even more each day...

-Barb
(Fellow RBFer)