November 30, 2005

A Race and Coming Home

On Thanksgiving I ran the Downtown YMCA 5-Mile Turkey Trot. I've run a race on Thanksgiving the past few years, and it's a tradition I'd like to keep alive. Race morning wasn't too cold, but there were some flurries and some snow on the ground from the day before. It was also pretty windy. As usual, I had high expectations going into the race, but realized given the state of my running lately I probably wouldn't meet those expectations.

The race was started by Carol Zajac-Tynan, a Pittsburgh native who had just been named the most outstanding women's athlete in NCAA cross country over the past 25 years. Other than my first mile of 6:37, I don't recall any exact splits, though that first mile is in question since we supposedly ran the wrong way into Point State Park and added some distance to our race. When I ran that same mile on the way back to the start/finish line I ran closer to 6:10. I finished in 33:23.

I spent Thanksgiving with the family and then J, Puff, B, and I headed home Friday because J's mom's 50th birthday surprise party was Saturday. Since I've been home things have been kind of hectic, and I haven't been running like I want to. Case in point:
Sat.-off
Sun.-8 miles
Mon.-7 miles
Tue.-off
Wed.-off

I need to get my act back together and get out there.

No comments: