January 20, 2006

Pulling Teeth

Both of the past two days I've been to the dentist. Yesterday was the first day I had gone to this dentist, having recently switched from my old one. I had x-rays and an oral evaluation done yesterday, and then finally had my teeth cleaned and polished today. I don't hate going to the dentist, but I can think of a long list of other things that I'd rather be doing. Growing up, the worst feeling in the world was the feeling of clean teeth after visiting the dentist. I could always hardly wait to eat and drink afterwards.

I've run easily the past two days; nine miles on Thursday and then eight miles this morning. I've been pretty tired, to the point of almost falling asleep in the dentist's chair if not for the bright light shining in my face. My legs were sore this morning so I made sure to stretch in hopes that it would help. Usually I don't stretch because I'm trying to get out the door to work, but I had time this morning since I was going to the dentist first.

In the course of perusing Kevin Beck's website, I found a good article he wrote for Florida Running and Triathalon. The point that got to me the most was the question regarding mileage: "Okay, why did you stop "there" instead of at "there plus ten?" I don't have a good answer for the question. Getting to a good mileage level and maintaining it is something to work on during this training cycle.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brian,

Thanks for the article. I was trying to remember where I read that "why did you stop there" line before. I thought it was in the "summer of Malmo" piece, but it's not.